Everything Important You Need to Know about Linux VPS Hosting
Linux is a reliable and versatile operating system prized as a web server platform for its potential of deploying a huge selection of applications. Linux VPS hosting packages are among the most popular services available online at the moment. Cheap Linux VPS servers provide a completely isolated environment with dedicated resources available for the needs of just one user alone. There are several sites hosted on one physical machine, but there are different virtual servers allocated to each user. This is the reason why the sites have their very own resources.
One of the best things about these hosting solutions is their ability to scale server resources. Specifically, this means that if you find that you are reaching the limit granted in the resources- be it disk space, CPU, or RAM, you have the option of adding more from what you actually need.
This way, you will be able to accommodate the growth of your business steadily without having to upgrade your package on a constant basis.
Linux VPS Hosting: What does it Encompass?
The majority of the VPS hosting providers lean towards Linux server hosting solutions because of their affordability and flexibility. A cheap Linux VPS server encompasses:
- The operating system a virtual private server runs on.
- Specific software solutions and applications needed are developed for running in a specific environment. For instance, MS and .NET products can only be used on Windows-based servers.
- Linux VPS servers have the ability to support Joomla, WordPress, Magento and various other website-building applications.
One of the best things about the Linux operating system is that it can easily be configured on almost any kind of hosting solution- dedicated VPS or shared hosting servers.
Linux VPS Hosting: What is it Good for?
Linux VPS hosting can work wonders for different projects, and we will have a look at them below:
- Online store owners can make the best use of cheap Linux VPS servers because of the customization control, boosted security and enhanced performance offered by the servers. This also works for the small stores that do not deal in a large number of products. So, smart eCommerce businessmen should never overlook the advantages that come from the use of VPS hosting.
- A cheap Linux VPS server also excels at handling high-traffic sites. These are sites that require a lot of CPU and RAM. Hence, the flexibility of the Linux virtual server is almost priceless in this context.
- The above-mentioned points should not get you into thinking that Linux virtual servers are only good for website hosting. No, they can also be configured for gaming projects, web applications, mail servers, backups, reseller businesses and VoIP services.
A word of caution here is that in-depth server customization needs a bit of previous experience and knowledge. Hence, if you are into using a VPS server for the very first time, ensure working with an experienced and knowledgeable developer. You even have the option of choosing managed cheap Linux VPS server hosting plans to get added support from the hosting provider.
Most Popular Linux Versions Available for Server Hosting
Since Linux features a modular design concept, it comes up in the form of an operating system with the potential of being fine-tuned for varied uses. It has different distributions or versions that can be used for server hosting.
Of course, all the different versions of Linux come with their own advantages and disadvantages and thus level of popularity. There are a few specific Linux versions that have garnered huge popularity for use in physical and web servers. These are:
- This Linux version offers excellent stability along with great compatibility with different installation plans.
- CentOS is one of the most popular Linux distributions used for running web servers.
- The slow version updates of this distribution help in reducing the requirement of server maintenance.
- Debian is one of the best alternatives to CentOS in the entire range of Linux distributions.
- It is as stable as CentOS and is equally popular.
- It is exceptionally easy to configure and install.
- These are some of the major features that make Debian the perfect Linux distribution for virtual private server hosting.
- Ubuntu is a desktop Linux distribution that does exceptionally well in the virtual private server environment.
- The large scale popularity of this Linux version makes it very easy to get assistance, and it also means that majority of the users will be quite familiar with the way it behaves.
- This version of Linux is in no way the same as the SUSE Linux enterprise version.
- OpenSUSE is a Linux version that has been specifically designed to be highly useful for server administrators.
- Technically, it also does well for the webserver platforms.
Well, there’s one problem with OpenSUSE, and that is unlike the other Linux versions like Debian and CentOS, it does not come with very strong community support that is considered important for Linux VPS hosting users.
When faced with the dilemma of making a choice between Windows VPS Server and Linux VPS hosting, it is very important for you to consider the requirements of your project. If you are well aware of how you will be building your site, then it’s just a simple matter of checking the operating system that will be best for server hosting. Web developers and individuals looking for complete control on their server environment generally like going for a cheap Linux VPS server.